The Wedding: Part One
January 12, 2012 was probably best day of my life! After a year of dating and three months of stress and planning, I finally married my very best friend! The day couldn't have been more perfect either! I was up bright at early by 5am to shower and dry my hair. My sister and hairstylist arrived around 6:15am to help with hair and makeup and they made me look more beautiful than ever. Ryan picked me up at 7:30am and we were off to the Salt Lake Temple.
I admit that I was quite nervous. Not nervous to get married, but nervous of not knowing what to expect. I tried to eat breakfast but I just couldn't do it, my nerves were too great. We met my parents and brother at the Temple (my mom acted as my escort and my dad and brother were the witnesses) and then a few minutes later they whisked us all off in different directions. Thankfully my mom stayed with me though which helped calm my nerves. Ryan didn't have an escort so a nice gentleman (a temple worker) who happened to be walking past kindly offered to show Ryan where to go and what to do. Ryan was grateful, as was I. It's nice to know that at the Temple you never have to go through anything alone because there is always someone willing to help.
After 20 minutes or so Ryan and I did eventually meet back up together and then after a few minutes of waiting in the Celestial room the person who would be performing our marriage came and got us. And would you believe that it was none other than that kind gentleman who had offered to help Ryan just a few minutes before? Upon seeing us he said, "I have the privilege of marrying you today and let me just say that when I saw you in the hallway a few minutes ago I said 'Oh, I hope they are the couple I get to marry today' and here you are!" We all felt as though that was true inspiration!
After a few words of direction, he led us to the room where we would be married. Everyone we had invited was already sitting in there and when I walked in the room I nearly started crying. The spirit I immediately felt in seeing my loved ones was unmistakable. I had to convince myself it wasn't worth crying over though because I couldn't afford to have makeup running down my face!
The sealing was beautiful, though quite short. It's nothing like Hollywood's version of a wedding ceremony. It was wonderful though and the spirit there was so strong! There was no doubt in my mind that Ryan was the one I wanted to spend eternity with. The peace and happiness I felt was overwhelming. In about 20 minutes I went from being Camille Butterfield, to being Camille Millward, Ryan's wife. What an amazing moment that was! I wish I could put in words the exact feelings and emotions I had, but there just aren't any words quite worthy of the experience.
After the sealing we changed into our "fancy" clothes - Ryan in his tux and me in my wedding dress. We had opted not to take pictures of us prior to the wedding (which apparently is quite common these days) because we didn't want Ryan to see me in my dress before the wedding. I am SO glad we didn't. The look on Ryan's face when he saw me in my dress for the first time was priceless! It completely added to the beauty and excitement I was already feeling that day. I never want to forget that moment!
Once we changed they led us to the doors where all our family and friends were waiting outside. Now it was time for pictures!
Coming out of the temple:
One thing that Ryan and I had talked about was having our nieces and nephews at the temple for pictures. It was quite a sacrifice on the part of our siblings to get all their kids there and find someone to sit with them during the sealing, but I am SO glad they did it! Having the kids there was probably one of the highlights of the entire day for me. Kids don't always get the opportunity to see someone come out of the temple right after their marriage. All they see of an LDS wedding is typically the reception. I wanted those kids to be a part of that day because I felt that if there was any chance at all that it would help strengthen their testimony of a temple marriage, then I didn't want to deny them that experience. And besides, I love those kids as much as I love my parents or siblings. They ARE my family! I will always be so grateful that they came to my wedding and shared this special day with me. Again, there really are no words to describe the emotion I felt.
The whole gang:
My Family:
Ryan's Family:
Us:
One thing about getting married in January, you never know what to expect with the weather! Luckily the weather on our wedding day was absolutely gorgeous - blue sky and all! But it was SO cold! We took pictures outside for nearly 1 1/2 hours and I was chilled to the bone! By the time we finished outside, I couldn't even feel my hands. In fact, I could hardly grip my bouquet!
Once the pictures were done outside we headed over to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and took more pictures before heading to our luncheon!
3 comments:
This post gave me the chills. I'm still just so happy for you guys! Seriously, SO happy!!
Wonderful, it sounds like you had an amazing day. The pictures are great and you looked beautiful. I love your dress!
you made me cry....seriously. Your wedding was beautiful! and the spirit was incredibly strong! You and Ryan make up a really GREAT couple. I am excited to read more.
Loves!
Post a Comment