Yes, you read the title of this post right. I am covetous. I know I shouldn't be, but I am. What, exactly, am I covetous about? Could it be my friend's curly hair? My sister's perfect voice? My roommate's tasty celery sticks?
Nope. None of that. I am covetous over my sister's snow.
See, my sister's family lives in Arkansas. An average winter for them consists of a couple storms a year that produce maybe an inch of snow each time. And each time that happens, they shut the city down, kids stay home from school and parents stay home from work. And everytime that happens I just sit here in Utah and laugh my head off thinking to myself, "If they only knew what a real snowstorm looked like."
I even remember a time about four or five years ago when my niece asked me to send her pictures of one of our typical Utah storms because she wanted to know what a lot of snow looked like. I sent her pictures of a storm where we got a little over a foot. She was amazed!
Well, now it seem to be me who can't remember what a lot of snow looks like. I feel like this has been a pretty boring winter. We've had a few storms but where I live we haven't had anything over about 6". Mostly it's just been cold...and windy. Both of which I hate. But not the snow. I love the snow.
And that's the reason I am now coveting my sister's snow. Why? Because in little ol' Arkansas where it hardly ever snows, they've managed to get 30" and it's still falling! No school, no work, and not even any snowplows... I think they are pretty much snowed in for the long haul.
Think of all the forts and snowmen and snow angels they can create and all the snowball fights they can have with all that snow! I tried to tell my 13 year old nephew today to stop stealing all our snow. Much to my disappointment he said he couldn't control it.
I am so covetous.
*Update: apparently the snow total was 18" and the drifts were 30".
10 years ago
3 comments:
please don't wish for more snow here... we never close down for anything, while all those ridiculous southern states close down at an inch of snow and ice - and it's not like our plows actually come through in time for anyone to get to work here, either. Don't get me wrong, I love the snow - but it should stop after January...
In England 6" is a lot of snow! I think we got around 6-8" this year and the entire country ground to a halt. We are not prepared for large snowfalls.
I can't imagine what 18" of snow must be like and I never want to find out. I'm not a fan of snow :( That makes me sound really grumpy, but I hate slipping all over the place.
Roll on Spring! :)
Stop that snow talk or I will have to throw a snowball at you! We have gotten plenty this year.
Post a Comment